Last updated on June 24th, 2017
Why do you think we need wordpress image optimizer for? Why is image compression even necessary?
WHAT IS IMAGE COMPRESSION?
Image compression is minimizing the image size of graphics file to such a level that the quality of the original image is almost unaltered or reduced a bit which cannot be noticed apparently.
HOW DO IMAGE COMPRESSION HELPS IN WEBSITE SPEED UP
We need wordpress image optimizer as it helps in speeding up our site. But how?
Images often account for most of the downloaded bytes on a web page and also often occupy a significant amount of visual space. As a result, optimizing images can often yield some of the largest byte savings and performance improvements for your website~ Google Developers
- When images are compressed, the browser has to download fewer bytes and hence the loading gets faster.
- Lighter the total page size, the faster is the rendering of the page.
- The compressed images lowers down the total page size sufficiently.
- Smaller the image sizes, faster is the back-up.
- By image compression hundreds of KBs are saved per image and hence significant less bandwidth usage.
5 BEST ONLINE IMAGE COMPRESSOR
You simply upload your file here and download the reduced image. No need to make any account for the basic work.
Tiny PNG offers a wordpress plugin too for JPEG and PNG images.
It is a simple tool for reducing images.
After uploading the image > View reduced images >You will get different sizes of thumbnails and several percentage of compressed images. Worth a try.
With online image optimizer you can convert the image type. From JPEG to PNG for an instance.
It reduces the size of the images without any loss of quality. You need to make a free account to access PunyPNG.
It helps reducing the weight of the images. The webpage loads faster as it saves the bandwidth.
6 WORDPRESS IMAGE OPTIMIZER PLUGIN
Our servers do all the heavy lifting. Strip hidden bulky information from your images and reduce file size without losing quality.
It is one of the most powerful plugin. You can install the free plugin from wordpress.
Free users can smush upto 50 images per click. But do not worry as you can do endless smushing by clicking more of ‘ Bulk smush now‘.
- 2x better compression
- No bulk smushing limit
- Super smush lossy compression
- Smush images upto 32gb.
- You can set height and width while uploading images.
Have free trial for first month.
Then WPMUDEV membership comes at a price of 49$
Ewww IO comes in 3 categories:
- Cloud Optimization: Starting at 9$
- Developer API: You can use it to optimize images or PDF’s on any platform using this.
- WordPress Image Optimizer Plugin: The plugin which we use in WordPress to optimize every image.
EWWW image optimizer offers a Free plugin and can be installed directly from wordpress plugins.
On installing, it will automatically optimize the images which was already uploaded and also optimize the new ones as you upload them.
On installation of the free plugin keep the default settings> save changes.
Providing cloud optimization and lossy compression of images(Compression of images while retaining its quality) to achieve huge savings for PNG and JPG images.
Pricing: Starts at 9$ for 3000 images and thereafter costs $0.003 per image. Pay for any additional credits used at the end of each month.
500 Bonus Credit points for new account holders.
You can also avail EWWW as pre-paid option.
- Bronze-9$ for 3000 images
- Silver-39$ for 13000 images
- Gold-99$ for 33000 images
It is yet another popular plugin. I am sure many of us already uses it.
Optimus comes with a transparent pricing policy.
- The size limit of the free version of Optimus is 100 KB per image though unlimited amount of images can be done.
- Image type: JPEG, PNG
- Supports Progressive JPEGs
Keep the default setting. Except you can tick on ‘no optimization of images while upload’ as it will slow down the upload process. You can do it later while bulk optimization.
- Size limit of 5 MB per image.
- Supports WebP conversion
- Unlimited amount of images.
Pricing: 19$ per year (One Time Charge)
- Image quality stays the same
- Automated compression
- Data privacy
- Supports Jpeg, Png, Gif and Pdf
- Restore original images anytime
- No Size Limit
- 100 images per month
- One API Key for all the sites
- Loseless and Lossy optimization
- Regular Support
To activate the free plugin you need to create a free account with short pixel.
You will get your API as soon as you sign up.
Once your api key is validated you can keep the default settings and check your statistics easily.
For Bulk Optimization:
Save and go Bulk Process>
It can take up to 30 minutes depending on the number of images you are compressing. For a free plugin the maximum number of images is 100 which can be compressed per month.
- Starts at 4.99$ for 5000 images/month
- 9.99$ for 12000 images/month with Bonus 2000
- 29.99$ for 55000 images/month with Bonus of 25000
One Time Payments
You can also Opt for one time payments starting at:
- 9.99$ for 10,000 images
- 19.99$ for 30,000 images with bonus 10,000
- 29.99$ for 50,000 images with bonus 20,000
- 99.99$ for 170,000 images with bonus of 70,000
- You need to create a free account to use the plugin. Same as ShortPixel.
- Images less than 2 MB can be optimized.
- 250 images or 25 MB can be optimized per month.
- Bulk Optimization available.
- Compatible with WooCommerce and NextGen gallery.
3 levels of compression available.
- Normal: Loseless compression. Quality of images is not altered.
- Aggressive : Small unnoticeable amount of quality is lost.
- Ultra: Strongest compression with lossy algorithm.
Go to settings> Save the default settings
You get a 2 months free on yearly plan.
- Lite: 4.99$ per month for 1 GB of Data (Approx 10,000 images). 5$ per additional GB. $49.9 /year.
- Basic: 8.99$ per month for 2 GB of Data (Approx 20,000 images) 4$ per additional GB. $89.9 /year.
- Standard: 19.99$ per month for 5 GB of Data (Approx 50,000 images) 3$ per additional GB $199.9 /year.
- Plus: 39.99$ per month for 15 GB of Data (Approx 150,000 images) 2$ per additional GB.$399.9 /year.
- Enterprise:69.99$/ month for 50 GB of Data (Approx 500,000 images) 1$ /additional GB. $699.9 /year.
One Time Plan:
- 5.99$ for 500 MB (Approx: 5000 images)
- 9.99$ for 1 GB (Approx: 10,000 images)
- 19.99$ for 3 GB (Approx: 30,000 images)
- Offers a 100 MB quota
1. Sign up for a free account and confirm your email ID.
2. You will get a Kraken Dashboard.
3. Go to API dashboard> Copy the API Key and API Secret.
4. Go to WordPress Dashboard> Kraken IO settings
5. Paste the Api Credentials.
6. Save all.
Intelligent Lossy: Bit of quality is reduced but images are highly compressed.
Lossless: As the name defines it retain the quality of the image.
- Full API access.
- Supports any web interface.
- Comes with Magento Extension.
- Offers Kraken cloud storage.
- Micro: 5$/ month for 500 MB of images. 5$ for additional GB. 50$ per Year.
- Basic: 9$/ month for 2 GB of images. 4$ for additional GB. 90$ per Year.
- Advanced: 19$/ month for 5 GB of images. 3$ for additional GB. 190$ per Year.
- Premium: 39$/ month for 15 GB of images. 2$ for additional GB. 390$ per Year.
- Enterprise: 79$/ month for 60 GB of images. 1$ for additional GB. 790$ per Year.
Till now this site is using EWWW image optimizer and runs smooth. Smush Image comes from a very trusted developer. Check out the details for yourself and see which one performs the best for your site.
Before you check your website speed after installing a wordpress image optimizer, I recommend to empty your page cache.
This post was part of evaluation of WebPageTest results. We have already checked how to improve static cache content, enhance TTFB, Setting up a free CDN. Next we will be evaluating GT Metrix and will see how to Defer Parsing of Java.
Get the conglomerate of factors delaying site speeds and find out which one if affecting yours.